The title is a play on the phrases "booby hatch" and "booby trapped".
Winter during a serious snowstorm. A mother duck struggles mightily, and finally hatches her eggs in the bitter cold, after candling them and seeing the chicks skiing, skating, and otherwise enjoying winter inside the shells. All but one, that is: poor little Robespierre, who hatched prematurely. She doesn't notice until after the rest of the brood has gone swimming and Robespierre has sprouted legs and run off in desperate search of warmth. He finds it, under a hibernating bear ("So I laid an egg"), but a wolf (resembling the wolf as seen in "I Got Plenty of Mutton", also directed by Tashlin earlier in 1944) has followed him in and snatches the egg for his dinner, with some help from a stick of TNT. What the wolf hasn't counted on is mama, who's right behind him, with a couple of eye-poking fingers at the ready. The wolf swaps a doorknob for the egg, and starts boiling the egg, but mama arrives in the nick of time to save him from the wolf's hungry jaws, only to be rejected by the baby, who was just getting warm.
- (1992) LaserDisc - The Golden Age of Looney Tunes Volume 3, Side 6 (Blue Ribbon reissue)
- (2006) DVD - Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 4, disc 2 (Blue Ribbon reissue, with altered opening and ending music cues (see "Audio Goofs" for more details))
- The restored version on LTGC Volume 4 had an error with the Blue Ribbon opening; It had a cut-short 1941-1945 Merrie Melodies opening music instead of the correct 1945-1955 Merrie Melodies opening music over the Blue Ribbon opening titles.
- Old a.a.p. prints of this cartoon with old Brazilian-Portugese dubs that air on Cartoon Network, Boomerang and Tooncast in Latin America alter the opening music in the Blue Ribbon opening; The 1945-1955 Merrie Melodies music is replaced by the cut-short version of the 1941-1945 Looney Tunes opening music in the old Brazilian-Portugese dub. Click this link for more details (note that the video is not in English): http://minhateca.com.br/keller/Desenhos+e+S*c3*a9ries/Desenhos+Looney+Tunes/Varios/143+-+V*c3*81RIOS+-+O+PATINHO+PERDIDO+-+EP.+143,53437604.avi(video) . Note that the altered opening track could only be heard on the Brazilian-Portugese audiotrack, not on the English audiotrack of the cartoon airing on these three channels.
- Unlike the USA Turner dubbed 1995 version which kept the original 1941-1955 MM ending music (the slightly distorted variant as heard in the ending of The Wacky Wabbit), the European Turner dubbed 1995 version has the generic 1941-1955 MM ending music replacing the original ending music cue.