Daffy Duck tears down and burns "Duck Season" signs to trick Elmer Fudd into thinking it's really Rabbit Season. After Daffy shows Elmer where Bugs Bunny lives, Elmer is about to shoot Bugs. After Bugs convinces him that he is a fricasseeing rabbit and needs a license to be able to shoot, Elmer realizes he has no such license. Daffy decides to make one for Elmer. Daffy can't make the license, though, because he can't spell fricassee and asks Bugs for help. Bugs add the words "duck" in spelling fricassee, and Elmer ends up shooting Daffy. Each presentation of the sign is accompanied by a brass fanfare of a fox hunting call, and is, of course, followed by a gunshot. Bugs then puts on a duck disguise. Daffy sees him, but forgets himself and shouts "Shoot the duck!" to which Elmer obliges by shooting the nearest duck — Daffy. He finally goes completely insane and convinces Elmer that he is an elk, a fiddler crab, and many more animals. Bugs dresses as a Game Warden. Elmer, in his own delirium, asks Bugs what season it is. Bugs tells Elmer that is baseball season (Elmer runs after a baseball, shooting at it). Bugs asks Daffy what hunting season is it really. Daffy says it is really Duck Season and hunters start shooting at Daffy, who crawls to Bugs saying "You're dethpicable!"
- Daffy: Well, I guess I'm the goat. (Bugs holds up a sign that reads "Goat Season Open" and Elmer points his gun at Daffy). What? (Elmer shoots Daffy). You're a dirty dog.
- Bugs: And YOU are a dirty skunk!
- Daffy: I'm a dirty skunk? I'M a dirty skunk?! (Bugs holds up a sign that reads "Dirty Skunk Season" and Elmer shoots Daffy).
- Daffy: Brother! Am I a pigeon!? (Bugs holds up a sign that reads "Pigeon Season" and Elmer shoots Daffy. Later on in the cartoon, after Bugs appears to Elmer as an angel...)
- Daffy: ARE YOU NUTS?! Why, if he's dead, then I'm a mongoose! (Bugs holds up a sign that reads "Mongoose Season" and Elmer shoots Daffy).
- Like "Rabbit Fire" and "Rabbit Seasoning", all scenes of Daffy getting blasted by Elmer's shotgun were eventually edited when aired on ABC, CBS, the syndicated and Fox network versions of Merrie Melodies Starring Bugs Bunny & Friends and The WB. While ABC, Fox and the syndicated versions replaced the actual shots of Elmer firing at Daffy's head with a still shot of Bugs Bunny looking off-screen and had the audio play normally, CBS and WB spliced out any and all scenes (both visual and audio) of Daffy getting shot, which made this short particularly choppy and incoherent.
- A small clip from this cartoon (particularly the scene where an insane Daffy demands Elmer "I'M AN ELK! SHOOT ME!" briefly appears in the movie Space Jam, right after the camera moves away from the clip from "Muzzle Tough".
- A fricassee is a type of stew.
For a complete transcript, click here.
TV Title Cards
- The Censored Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Page: Q-R http://www.intanibase.com/gac/looneytunes/censored-q-r.aspx