|← Bad Ol' Putty Tat||Sylvester Cartoons||Home Tweet Home →|
A mouse is attempting to commit suicide, but is stopped at the last minute by a baby kangaroo named Hippety Hopper. The mouse makes a deal with the kangaroo, that he will release him, in exchange the kangaroo will terrorize the mouse's tormentor a cat named Sylvester. He does so by making it look as if vitamins have enlarged the mouse. Sylvester attempts to fight the mouse, but loses and gets set to a ravaging Bulldog. The bulldog tries to fight the kangaroo but the mouse bites the bulldog on the foot and the kangaroo kicks the bulldog out of the house. The bulldog and Sylvester leaves the house and go ballet dancing.
- (2008) DVD - Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 6, Disc 1 (Blue Ribbon titles)
- (2013) DVD - Looney Tunes Super Stars' Sylvester & Hippety Hopper: Marsupial Mayhem (original opening restored)
- HBO Max (2020 - ) (original opening restored)
When this cartoon aired on the FOX Network as part of their compilation show Merrie Melodies: Starring Bugs Bunny & Friends, the entire opening sequence of the mouse contemplating and about to commit suicide, only to be saved by Hippety Hopper was cut, making the cartoon start at the point where the mouse lets Hippety out of the crate. Surprisingly, this wasn't edited from other channels that have a history of editing out references to suicide and suicidal behavior, such as Nickelodeon, ABC (though ABC did eventually drop this short in 1994), Cartoon Network, and Boomerang, nor were other dubious parts cut, like the homeless man hitting another homeless man after Hippety Hopper jumps on the first man's head or the mouse and Hippety Hopper scaring the college coeds at the Eta Bita Pi sorority house.
- This is the first Hippety Hopper short to be in the post-1948 package, as his previous short, Hop, Look and Listen was sold to Associated Artists Productions making that short as part of the pre-1948 package of the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts.
- This is also Hippety Hopper's first appearance in a Merrie Melodies short, since his previous short was part of the Looney Tunes series.
- This is the first short that Hippety Hopper is given his name as he was unnamed in his previous short.