The title is a play on the phrase "punch drunk" alluding to the elephant's "trunk."
A tiny elephant emerges from a banana boat called SS Michael Maltese and wanders about town, causing an uproar among the populace. Sightings are attributed variously to mass hysteria, insanity and dipsomania.
- (2008) DVD - Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 6, Disc 4
- Most of this cartoon was used in the movie Daffy Duck's Quackbusters.
- The names Marsha and John are a reference to the 1951 Stan Freberg song "John and Marsha". "Wild Wife", "The Unexpected Pest", and "Unnatural History" also reference this record.
- The moderator, Mr. Pratt, is partly named after Hawley Pratt, the Warner Bros. layout artist of several shorts.
- The name of the boat the elephant stowed away in is SS Michael Maltese, after the writer of this cartoon.
- Despite the cartoon being in the 1953-54 season, either the ending card is the one from the 1952-53 season for reasons unknown, or the original ending card is lost.