Foghorn Leghorn finds his cupboards are bare and, with courting a woman as his only hope to get food for the winter, visits Miss Prissy. While trying to court her, there is a knock on the door. It is a baby basket containing Henery Hawk. Foghorn immediately wants to eat him, but Miss Prissy wants to adopt him as her "son." To get him alone, he pretends to help Henery become a "real" chicken.
Foggy tries to teach Henery how to be a chicken, though his attempts are actually thinly disguised attempts to kill his foe, but such attempts as a hand grenade painted to look like an egg, and pecking for insects in a minefield are unsuccessful.
Foggy claims that if Henery can be a chicken, then he can be a chicken hawk, so he flies after Henery with the intent of catching him. Henery flees to the safety of Miss Prissy, who slams the door on Foggy once and for all! "My pappy used to say, 'Shoemaker, stick to your last. And this is my last!" a clobbered Foggy says.
- On CBS, the part where Foghorn disguises a hand grenade as an egg, which explodes in Foghorn's hand instead of beneath Henery is cut.
- On the syndicated Merrie Melodies Show, the part where Foghorn teaches Henery how to crow, only to get a noose wrapped around his neck and dropped into a cauldron was cut.
- The WB network kept in the scene that The Merrie Melodies Show removed, but cut the brief shot of Foghorn Leghorn getting strangled and dangling from a noose.
- This cartoon marks the final appearances of Henery Hawk and Miss Prissy from the Golden Age of American Animation.
- Much like in "Little Boy Boo" (1954) and "A Broken Leghorn" (1959), Foghorn pursues after Prissy for selfish reasons.
The Dixie Fryer
|Foghorn Leghorn cartoons
The Slick Chick
|Foghorn Leghorn Cartoons|
|1946||Walky Talky Hawky|
|1948||The Foghorn Leghorn|
|1950||The Leghorn Blows at Midnight • A Fractured Leghorn|
|1951||Leghorn Swoggled • Lovelorn Leghorn|
|1952||Sock a Doodle Do • The EGGcited Rooster|
|1953||Plop Goes the Weasel! • Of Rice and Hen|
|1954||Little Boy Boo|
|1955||Feather Dusted • All Fowled Up|
|1956||Weasel Stop • The High and the Flighty • Raw! Raw! Rooster!|
|1958||Feather Bluster • Weasel While You Work|
|1959||A Broken Leghorn|
|1960||Crockett-Doodle-Do • The Dixie Fryer|
|1962||The Slick Chick • Mother Was a Rooster|
|Henery Hawk Cartoons|
|1942||The Squawkin' Hawk|
|1946||Walky Talky Hawky|
|1948||You Were Never Duckier • The Foghorn Leghorn|
|1950||The Scarlet Pumpernickel • The Leghorn Blows at Midnight|
|1952||The EGGcited Rooster|
|1955||All Fowled Up|